Educating a cat to stroll on a leash is totally different than strolling a canine. Generally you may cue them to comply with you, whereas different occasions chances are you’ll be following them. However you CAN prepare them to do it! Here’s a brief information to coaching your cat to stroll on a leash.
Earlier than we get began, it’s vital to notice that out of doors exercise together with your cats ought to all the time be supervised. Cats left exterior to roam freely sometimes have a decrease common life expectancy because of risks resembling site visitors, predators and the weather.
Get began with harness coaching
The cat must be aware of sporting a harness (see our weblog, “Learn how to train a cat to put on a harness”) and must be snug sporting a harness for five+ minutes earlier than beginning leash coaching. Not all cats will wish to stroll on a leash and there must be very shut monitoring of concern, nervousness and stress. All the time connect the light-weight leash to the harness and by no means to the cat’s collar.
Right here’s what you’ll want for leash coaching:
- Quiet safe space
- Appropriately fitted harness – see our weblog on harness coaching
- 6 – 8’ mild leash (longer leash permits extra selection for the cat’s actions)
- Excessive worth treats
- Feather wand or cat’s favorite toy
- Clicker (not mandatory however can be utilized)
Getting the cat acclimatized to the leash
- Beginning in a protected, quiet place the place the cat feels snug, connect a light-weight leash to the cat’s harness.
- Toss treats and/or toys and permit the cat to maneuver across the room.
- Because the cat is strolling round and there’s no pressure on the leash, mark (click on or say “sure”) and reward.
- Because the cat strikes across the room, be sure to comply with them to forestall any pressure on the leash.
Notice: when the cat initially feels mild pressure on the leash they could attempt to pull or again up, all the time watch leash positioning and ensure harness is appropriately fitted.
Strolling on the leash
- Utilizing a goal resembling a feather wand, encourage the cat comply with it.
- Mark (click on or say “sure”) and reward when the cat follows the goal for one or two steps.
- Regularly improve the variety of steps the cat should take to get the reward.
- As soon as the cat is following the goal for 10 or extra steps, add the cue “Let’s go,” then mark (click on or say “sure”) and reward.
Going for a stroll
- Select a quiet time and place to stroll the cat. Select an space indoors the place they’re snug.
- Guarantee they’ve entry to a protected area the place they’ll retreat in the event that they really feel anxious, fearful or careworn.
- Utilizing your goal, for instance feather wand toy, say “Let’s go” to encourage the cat to stroll on the leash.
- Enable the cat to discover on the leash whereas watching their physique language, mark (click on or Say “sure”) and reward whereas the cat is calm.
Purr-severance pays off
Maintain walks very brief 3 -5 min to begin and all the time monitor your cat’s concern, nervousness and stress ranges. Bear in mind that there are various elements that may frighten the cat resembling loud noises, wind, open area, and so forth.
Persistence and purr-severance pays off, with many cats studying to take pleasure in strolling on a leash. Pleased tails to you and your feline good friend!