Many rabbit companions take pleasure in going exterior! However it’s necessary to ensure they achieve this in a approach that retains them protected. Coaching a rabbit to simply accept a harness and a leash is an effective way to permit them to soundly discover the outside. Learn our suggestions for assistance on tips on how to train a rabbit to put on a harness and leash.
- Choose a light-weight physique harness with a band that goes across the rabbit’s neck and a band that goes across the rabbit’s chest/torso. By no means use a collar, since a rabbit can simply slip out of 1 or change into injured. Additionally, choose a light-weight leash (6 ft or extra).
- Begin by kneeling on the ground beside them; see if they are going to come to you and provide a deal with.
- When they’re comfy, gently choose up the rabbit, holding them gently and retaining their physique near yours. Gently wrapping them in a towel could assist make the rabbit really feel safer when you maintain them.
- Communicate gently and soothingly to the rabbit as you slowly ease the harness onto them. Provide the rabbit treats whereas they’re getting used to the harness to make the expertise constructive and rewarding.
- If the rabbit is reluctant about sporting the harness, strive once more slowly later within the day or the subsequent day, providing additional treats and constructive reinforcement. By no means pressure a scared rabbit; be affected person as it might take time.
- As soon as the rabbit is used to sporting a harness inside, connect the leash, toss treats and let the rabbit drag the leash alongside behind them till they get used to the texture of sunshine resistance on the harness.
- When the rabbit is relaxed with the texture of the harness and leash, snatch the loop finish.
- Stroll inside for a number of days earlier than venturing exterior, offering a number of rewards. If the rabbit has by no means been exterior, get them used to it by placing their cage exterior in a pet-safe space. Guarantee it’s positioned within the shade and out of the weather.
- To coax the rabbit to stroll together with you, provide them particular treats. Place a deal with on the bottom a couple of toes in entrance of the rabbit; once they get to that deal with, repeat the method.
Even probably the most assured bunny could panic if all of the sudden conscious of open area, the constraint of the harness, and the method of an unknown animal. When strolling your rabbit, it’s best to remain inside low visitors areas, and away from canine. Take a towel with you to wrap the rabbit in the event that they panic.
If the rabbit doesn’t take very effectively to strolling on a lead, however enjoys the outside, there are different choices. These can embody a wide range of outside playpens that present room to discover and examine in a protected, escape-free setting.
Completely satisfied coaching!